Briefing notes
Comparative graph
Fact sheet
About us
Bookmark and Share
  change font size تصغير الخط تكبير الخط print
Home » Parents »

Testimony: Iman A.
Name: Iman A.
Age: 39
Date: 9 August 2017
Location: Tuqu, West Bank
Event: Night arrest

On 9 August 2017, a 16-year-old youth from Tuqu is arrested by Israeli soldiers at 1:00 a.m. The boy's mother, Iman, describes the night raid. The village of Tuqu is located about 1 kilometre from the settlement of Teqoa.

I was asleep at around 1:00 a.m. when I heard loud banging at our front door. I was the first to wake up and I immediately woke up my husband who answered the door. About 7 Israeli soldiers entered our home. They were accompanied by my brother who showed them the way.

My heart sank when I saw the soldiers. I was overwhelmed by feelings I had never felt before. I always thought of myself as a fearless person but I was terrified to see fully armed soldiers fully armed inside my house. They looked like they were on a battlefield. Our daughters were terrified.
Soon it became clear they had come to detain our 16-year-old son. They asked my husband for his identity card and told him they wanted to take our son away for two hours for questioning and would return him home soon. This never happened. my son spent nearly 2 months in prison.
It all happened very quickly and I soon found myself at home without my son. I could not sleep and spent the rest of the night crying with my daughters. I was worried about my son and I thought to myself anything could happen to him. It was terrible watching my daughter give her brother a hug and tell him to take care of himself. When he told his sister not to worry and to take care of herself I felt nauseous and cold and almost passed out.
The worst part was yet to come. For a long time I called my son’s name when we had meals, forgetting for a second he was not at home. This was my first experience of a night raid although soldiers are always in our village and I always expected them to come, they don’t leave us alone.
Problems in our village started when a military checkpoint was built on the road a few hundred meters away. The checkpoint changed our lives and instilled fear in us, especially the young boys.